Friday, April 25, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Seeing how I need to eat a higher protein diet, and need something extra for when I take the puppy out for his walks, I made these chocolate peanut butter protein bars. The flavour is pretty good, not overly sweet, but a little dry. So this recipe will need a bit of tweaking, but overall they did the trick, they kept me going when I wasn't feeling great and I was craving protein.

To make these a low sugar be sure to check the protein powder that you use! My usual one is 1g per serving, where the one my husband uses has 5g per serving. To avoid carragenan in the protein powder I found that going to the natural foods isles was your best bet. I found some there that have no carragenan (which i have issues with if it is not in a very, very, very small amount), dairy free, low sugar, fat free, and for those who are interested GMO free as well. One that I found was sweetened with stevia even (that one was found at Costco, it is a newer protein powder that they carry in my local store, vanilla flavour, ~ $37-39 for 2kg).

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Yield 16 bars

1 1/2 cups chocolate protein powder
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
3 tbsp agave syrup

Heat peanut butter and agave in the microwave for 30 seconds, mix together with the remaining ingredients. Spread out in a 9x12 pan.

Chill mixture for 20+ minutes (mine chilled for 2 hours), slice and wrap individually.
Store in the fridge once cut and wrapped.

Picture
This is the bar cut and getting ready to wrap.

Picture Perfect pre-workout snacks, or for a quick breakfast when you forget to actually eat before leaving the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment