Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Flourless Banana Oatmeal Muffins

Well I found a link to a recipe on pinterest that I ended up adding a lot to, but didn't change much in the original base for it. I tried to post a link to the original but when I went to go to the site again today, the host has blocked it due to it potentially containing adult content.

I haven't found a link back to that specific one yet either. But anyway it just happened that I had 4 bananas I needed to use fast (original only called for 3), and I had exactly 3 cups of rolled oats remaining. I also happened to have exactly 1 cup of vanilla almond milk sitting in my fridge needing to be used. Weird how that one worked out. The plan was to put only 1/4 cups of chocolate chips in here originally, but I finally had emptied my large container of mini chips enough that I could move it to a smaller container. To move it to the smaller container i had no choice but to use 2/3 of a cup. Either way banana baked goods just are not the same without chocolate chips and walnuts. :)

When you look at the nutrition information that was calculate for this recipe, keep in mind that a large portion of the fat listed is coming from walnuts, chia seeds, and eggs. So really its not bad fats as the fats found in those are often considered to be the healthy fats. Also these were made with the intention to contain a lot of nutrients in a small package.

These do not use flour, only oats. The protein powder claims to be gluten free as well, but I will not call these a gluten free item, as I do not claim to be a dietician, nor do I generally make gluten free items as I do not know anyone with celiac disease.

Enjoy!



Flourless Banana Oatmeal Muffins

Yield: 19

Ingredients:

4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup vanilla almond milk
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups rolled oats
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2/3 cups chocolate chips, mini, semi-sweet
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 tbsp chia seeds

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine all wet ingredients a bowl and mix well, add dry ingredients, and mix until just barely incorporated.

Pour into lined muffin pans, almost filling the muffin cups.


Bake for approximately 23-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. These do stick to muffin wrappers a lot when they are still warm, as the cool they come out of the muffin papers easier.


Nutrition Facts
  19 Servings

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 188.3
  Total Fat 8.9 g
      Saturated Fat 2.2 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 3.8 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 1.1 g
  Cholesterol 21.7 mg
  Sodium 105.1 mg
  Potassium 164.6 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
      Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
      Sugars 9.8 g
  Protein 5.7 g

No comments:

Post a Comment