Monday, May 5, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chopped Peanuts

A note, a rant, and a few ideas for the future...

Just as a note, this is the first time I have ever played with molasses in chocolate chip cookies, and it I also forgot to add the chia seeds even though they were on the counter with me. Otherwise I would used 2 tbsp in these cookies. At least peanuts add a little bit of protein, may need to play with adding protein powder into the cookies and see how that works. They are good chocolate chip cookies, but not my favourite. I will play with the recipe more, and work to make them healthier. Might try some banana in them, although I will not use greek yogurt in place of butter in chocolate chip cookies. I have tried this in the past, and did not enjoy the change to the flavour or to the texture.

Haven't had any cookies for a while, and 2/3 of these went into the freezer to be eaten later. After all I don't need to eat all of them now, want to save some for the summer months when it will be too hot to bake. But after a long day involving some running around town, and a lot of yard work and gardening (much to the dismay of my hip), I figured a treat would be good. They may not be that healthy, but there will be healthier cookie recipes showing up in the next few weeks (I hope).

In the meantime, enjoy this recipe!

(The idea for the molasses came from another blog that I found on my phone through a link on Facebook. I do not remember which one, and I did change more than half the recipe from the original. What didn't change is standard cookie ingredients that you generally do not change. If I find the link again I will post it here.)

And now on to the recipe! Finally....



Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chopped Peanuts

Yield: 4 dozen

Ingredients:

1 cup coconut sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tbsp fancy molasses
2 eggs
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup peanuts, chopped
1 cup mini chocolate chips
2 tbsp chia seeds (missing from the recipe shown)

Instructions:

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (yes I know this is really high, but trust me it works).

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, continue mixing until they are fully incorporated. Add vanilla and molasses, mix in. Combine dry ingredients (not including the chocolate chips and peanuts) and add to the wet ingredients. Once ingredients are mixed well add the peanuts and chocolate chips and add to the mixture. Mix on low speed just to barely mix the chocolate chops and peanuts into the cookie dough.

Scoop out onto lined baking sheets and bake for 6-7 minutes. Be careful not to over bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment