Saturday, August 30, 2014

Philadelphia Style Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream

 Well with the school year about to begin I need to plan my daily activities out a little better. Therefore in an effort to be more consistent I will be uploading a new recipe every Saturday. Sometimes I may upload extra recipes during the week if I have enough to do so. Posts about the bark boxes (which there is a new one) or other random items will be posted on days that are not Saturdays, as Saturdays will be dedicated to recipes from now on. I will also do my best to better watch for errors in what I post. I have found and fixed a few recently, but hopefully I will not have anymore slip past.

The first of my Saturday posts is another (yes, I know there are quite a few of these now) ice cream recipe. Chocolate Chip Mint has always been one of my favourite flavours of ice cream, and I absolutely love the way this recipe turned out. It was perfect in my opinion, and the best part about making your own ice cream is that you can taste and adjust the flavours as you develop the base. This is no exception as you are able to adjust the amount of mint in the base to have it taste exactly as you would like it to.

Enjoy!



Philadelphia Style Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream

Ingredients:

Ice Cream Base:

2 1/2 cups half and half
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup agave syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp pure mint and peppermint extract
10 drops green food colouring (optional)

Preparation:

Combine all the ingredients for the ice cream base, leaving the chocolate chips to be added at the end. Whisk together to ensure the sugar is fully incorporated. As it is a liquid sugar being used and not a granular sugar, you do not need to worry about a grainy texture. Don't whisk it too long as you do not want to try making whipped cream. :)

Allow the mixture to chill for 4+ hours in the fridge. Being an uncooked ice cream base, you can put it in the ice cream make after a couple hours so long as the dairy products were cold entering the ice cream maker.

Prepare the ice cream as per ice cream maker instructions. Before serving, or before freezing longer, add the chocolate chips. If you want ice cream that is past the soft serve stage place the remaining ice cream into a container which can be safely stored in the freezer for a couple hours.

It is best to eat this ice cream within a day or two of preparing it for best results and best texture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment